torstai 8. elokuuta 2013

Hairy feminists want you to stop shaving

picture copyrights: armpits4august / huffington post

I freaked myself out last year in Asia when I noticed how I was criticizing the hair on the young girls' legs in countries where you wear shorts/skirts/dresses every day of the year. I remember thinking how someone could do that and not even care about it. I myself would have felt extra-insecure.
As mentioned, I freaked out. I was thinking exactly like the whole world wants me to think: women are not supposed to have that kind of body hair.
Wrong.

I was taught to think like that since I was like.. 7 years old, said that hair other than on your head = nasty, wrong, disgusting etc. As a feminist today I understand how stupid I have been, just doing like everyone else and not thinking with my own brains. I don't understand why we keep doing this, letting other people tell us what to look like. I firmly believe that our blodies = our decisions. Not your friends', boyfriend's, family's, society's decision. They can not f-cking tell you what to do or not to do with your body, and next time someone tells you you should do this and you should do that with your appearance, your hair, your face, makeup, nails, skin whatever, please just tell them to shut the f-ck up!

So this takes us to the inspiration behind this post. I just discovered the charity event called Armpits4August: a month long charity event for all the ladies around the world. It urges you to grow your underarm hair and get friends to sponsor them to raise money for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). This event was hosted for the first time last year, and it has gained attention all over the world. Finland doesn't have anyone backing it, so if you want to give money for the cause you have to give it straight to the organization in UK.

I really believe in this project, as it is spreading the awareness of PCOS and the pride of having body hair, not shame of it. If you start now, you'll still have 22 days to take part so it's not too late ;)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti